Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Speeches, Lies, & Surprises (No, this isn't about Politics)

I'm starting to think that public speaking and lying runs in my family- why this weird revelation? On this night two years ago I was addressing my senior class at our baccalaureate ceremony (night before graduation- filled with songs, speeches,pictures, etc.) and pulled off the best surprise ever. I told everyone in my family that I would be speaking except for the person that mattered the most- my mom. It happened to fall on the day of her birthday and my mom is infamous for tearing up at any given occasion- school concert, sporting event, birthday party, you name it. I was chosen to speak in January, and managed to keep it a surprise from her until the night of the event. My speech was titled 'The Sparknotes of Life', and it was about looking back on the past and never taking any shortcuts in life. Lets just say I could hear her sobbing from the podium. It was the best moment of my life- looking out at my fellow graduates, having my entire family there, and feeling calm and at ease throughout the entire thing. She couldn't believe I pulled off keeping it a surprise, since nothing ever gets past my mom.

Flash forward two years to today, and my brother is getting ready to do the exact same thing. He also got picked to be one of the student speakers and naturally wanted to surprise my mom like I did. My poor mom is either going to have a heart attack or nervous breakdown when she reads his name in the program tonight. I helped write his speech and gave him advice on how to deliver it, and as much as I hate to say it- it's better than my own! She was questioning me asking, "Your brother isn't speaking is  he?" and "I swear if you two are lying you both are gonna be in big trouble". I can't wait to see her face when she sees him in his cap and gown approaching the podium.

As much as we hate lying to our mom, it is for perfectly good reason. To make it even better, my brother has a section in his speech giving credit to my mom for being so supportive and always being able to give the best advice. Note to self: bring plenty of tissues!

Congratulations to the class of 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment