Thursday, June 23, 2011

Studying Abroad: Good for the Soul, Bad for The Major

I have recently been referring to my upcoming semester in Rome as a dilemma- not because I am not looking forward to it (ask anyone, I AM!) but because it is really starting to affect my development and opportunities as a PR major. We all know that experience is key when it comes to working in the public relations field- and being out of the country (taking only art history classes) isn't getting me too far ahead.

As I prepare to study abroad, I've considered a few things I can do while I'm away to stay on top of my game, and how I may be able to actually benefit from my time in Italy.

1. WRITING -- I plan on keeping an in-depth blog while I learn, live, and travel in Italy. After researching different travel blogs and speaking with other students who have done the same, I've realized that this is one of the greatest benefits of studying abroad. Telling a story and captivating an audience is a key task that PR pro's must be able to master. I also hope to be able to contribute to other travel blogs and websites as well.
2. KEEPING AN ONLINE PRESENCE -- With the amount of knowledge I've learned from social media over the past year or so, it would be very hard for me to abandon it simply because I'll be out of the country. I do however, want to live 'la dolce vita' and not be consumed with my laptop and other things the entire time, but I will try my best to stay actively involved with the people I have made connections with through using social media. And with maintaining my presence online, I also strive to keep up with industry news, trends, and current events back home in America.
3. BECOMING GLOBALLY AWARE -- I haven't thought of it much before, but living on the other side of the world for four months has some hidden perks. One being an edge over those who I may be soon competing with for internships and even jobs after graduation. Understanding and living within another culture could greatly benefit me when it comes to targeting specific audiences in future jobs. I think living as an outsider in another culture will teach me not only patience, but respect and gratefulness to other types of people. And that in itself has the power to help with any type of job.
So as I sit here, ecstatic as ever to be only two months away from leaving for Rome, I can't help but think that I may be falling slightly behind. Missing out on internship opportunities, not taking any PR classes, and being away from peers who help influence me are all downfalls of studying abroad. However, I am the luckiest girl in the world to get this opportunity and there wasn't a doubt in my mind when I booked my plane ticket. The things I'm about to experience will help me in the long-run guarunteed, and I will use my experience aborad to the best of my ability when I return.

4 comments:

  1. Mackenzie- This is a great blog post. I encountered the exact same situation when I lived in Italy for four months taking classes for my minors but not for PR.

    Blogging is the number one thing you can do to help your PR career. Set aside some time every morning (before class so you don't lose motivation at the end of the day) to blog. That's one of the problems I encountered: a lack of motivation to blog when I was living in Italy.

    Perhaps you can ask some of your art history professors if they know anyone who works at the museums who could possibly speak with. Or you can email the PR departments at the museums and ask if they would be willing to talk to you. Marketing professors may know someone who works in the communications field in Rome as well.

    Also, have you looked into doing an internship while in Rome? I know several people who interned while we studied abroad. I could connect you with them if that is something you are interested in.

    Let me know if I can help out in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    Thanks so much for this comment, it helps a lot! I've been debating doing an internship or not while I'm over there, and I'm still 100% sure yet. I think I will definitely take your advice and utilize some of the professors and maybe just get involved with a couple of small projects here and there to keep myself invovled.


    I will let you know if I have nay questions. By the way, I read some of your posts from your Rome blog, and love it! It's helping me get inspired to make mine and start posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mackenzie!

    Just found your blog and can't wait to follow when you're in Roma.

    I think you will be completely FINE when you are abroad. Everyone deserves to have a semester to see the world, without worrying TOO much about missing out on internships, etc. Believe me, they will be there waiting for you when you return!

    Like you said, writing is the absolute BEST thing you can do abroad. Expanding your portfolio by blogging for different travel blogs/websites will only help set you apart from your peers. Believe me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jess!

    I'm trying to do as much as possible while I'm away (but still enjoying Roma!). I've been researching some blogs to possibly write for, and plan on reaching out to them soon.

    I know I definitely need to pick a day to sit and write, and stick to that day so I stay consistent. I've seen so many travel blogs die out halfway, and I don't want mine to be one of them!

    I'm sure I'll be sending some questions your way before I leave :)

    ReplyDelete